Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: What's Your Ethnic Background?
RMM Message Board > RateMyMelons.com > Shoot The Breeze
Pages: 1, 2
Isaac_Putin
Me:

Irish, British, French, Scottish, German. Catholic.
summoner
I´m from Finland, my biological mother is Lapp and my biological farther is from Norway smile.gif (And SomFan: I still can´t speak Swedish or Norweigian....)
foxy lady
Irish, English and Native American grinning-smiley-003.gif
evade20
Welch---There is a possibility that my ancestors got offered the rope user posted image
or the boat (forced emigration to the colonies) before the American revolution.

English---One relative was an English school teacher that also emigrated to Massachusetts before the revolution.

Scots-Irish--- Lowland Scotts that first were sent to Northern Ireland as a buffer between the Irish and the English (or so I have read). I don't no when their emegration to the states occurred but I think it was after the American revolution but before the Irish potato famine.

French---My Grandmother's family were of French heritage. When my Grandmother was about nine, her mother died. Her father was very distraught and did not feel capable of raising his daughter. She was then adopted by some close friends of the family.

There might also be a we bit of German or other northern European cultures. Like Isaac, I'm pretty much a North American mutt. blink.gif
Gnappster
white male, age 18-49
Isaac_Putin
QUOTE(summoner @ May 31 2006, 01:27 PM)
I´m from Finland, my biological mother is Lapp and my biological farther is from Norway smile.gif (And SomFan: I still can´t speak Swedish or Norweigian....)

Hey, Summoner. I remember watching a film about the Lapplanders a long time ago. They seemed almost like a subsistence culture (almost like Scandinavian eskimos) that followed the wild reindeer herds around. They would cull the deer for clothes, meat, and shelter but only used what they needed.

I hope I got at least some of that right. It was fascinating.
jlynn
Me--a mutt, but mostly Native American and German.

Some devout Catholicism on my mother's side, including a nun, but I am not Catholic, or religous at all.
Mostly I just think of myself as a southern girl.
diane26
Norwegian, Mexican, Spanish, Indian and French.
LikesThemAll
Polish / Irish
Bobaloo
Well, when people ask me what I am I tell them I'm a pervert. I also worship boobs and other parts of women's bodies
evade20
QUOTE(Bobaloo @ May 31 2006, 08:44 PM)
Well, when people ask me what I am I tell them I'm a pervert.  I also worship boobs and other parts of women's bodies

It sounds like a temple to me! Keep the faith brother... grinning-smiley-003.gif
Bobaloo
QUOTE(evade20 @ May 31 2006, 09:42 PM)
It sounds like a temple to me!  Keep the faith brother... grinning-smiley-003.gif

You know, maybe I can found my own religion. I can worship women's sexy bodies all day AND get a tax break 2thumbs.gif
evade20
QUOTE(Bobaloo @ May 31 2006, 10:09 PM)
You know, maybe I can found my own religion.  I can worship women's sexy bodies all day AND get a tax break 2thumbs.gif

The Universal Sex Church. Hail.gif Hail.gif Hail.gif Hail.gif Hail.gif grinning-smiley-003.gif
numba1fan
German, Dutch and English.
ddd35
swedish white male 2thumbs.gif

with a boob fetish 2thumbs.gif
natalie
My father was raised in Poland and stayed there until he was 18. My mother's side is english and scotish. My father's mother was french.
7mary3
mostly German with some native american, scott
diane26
QUOTE(7mary3 @ Jun 1 2006, 10:31 AM)
mostly German with some native american, scott

Wow I am suprised I thought you were hispanic from the pics your Native american parts must really come out.

But you are pretty damn hot so no complaining from me smilio05.gif
Assfucker
I'm half negro, half Jew smilio09.gif
Gnappster
QUOTE(Assfucker @ Jun 1 2006, 01:19 PM)

i bet you can grow a really sweet afro food-smiley-004.gif
Blond Bombshell
QUOTE(Assfucker @ Jun 1 2006, 03:19 PM)

But I dont care for dark meat

What to do now?
foxy lady
QUOTE(Blond Bombshell @ Jun 1 2006, 03:34 PM)
What to  do now?

laughing-smiley-017.gif

Do you like pink meat? tongue.gif
Assfucker
QUOTE(Blond Bombshell @ Jun 1 2006, 03:34 PM)
What to  do now?

Bleach 22.gif
Assfucker
QUOTE(foxy lady @ Jun 1 2006, 03:41 PM)
laughing-smiley-017.gif

popc1.gif
Blond Bombshell
QUOTE(foxy lady @ Jun 1 2006, 03:41 PM)
laughing-smiley-017.gif

Pink is good as long as it is hot!!!!!!!!!!! smilio09.gif
Assfucker
QUOTE(Blond Bombshell @ Jun 1 2006, 03:54 PM)
Pink is good as long as it is hot!!!!!!!!!!! smilio09.gif

and moist.............and on my caack 03.gif
Bobaloo
QUOTE(Assfucker @ Jun 1 2006, 03:58 PM)
and moist.............and on my caack 03.gif

Good thing for you that sheep fit those criteria
ndboxer
I am American
Gnappster
QUOTE(ndboxer @ Jun 1 2006, 03:53 PM)
I am American

wink.gif
COMEDYMAN
Mothers side - Scots Irish/Indian ( Blackfoot )

Fathers side - German ( Gypsies from the SchwartzWald )/Indian ( Cherokee )

Great Grandmother full blood Cherokee
somfan
I am a Scandinavian mutt: My mother is Norwegian from north of Lillehammer.
My father is Swedish/Danish/Finnish. And YES Summoner, I know, I speak real lousy Finnish. drinkup.gif

Religion: grew up Lutheran, but now agnostic - although I am somewhat interested in religions from the perspective of anthropology and philosophy.
Lynette
Part Tahitian and part Italian, catholic (kind of).
Gnappster
QUOTE(somfan @ Jun 1 2006, 06:54 PM)
I am a Scandinavian mutt:  My mother is Norwegian from north of Lillehammer.
My father is Swedish/Danish/Finnish.  And YES Summoner, I know,  I speak real lousy Finnish. drinkup.gif

Religion:  grew up Lutheran, but now agnostic - although I am somewhat interested  in religions from the perspective of anthropology and philosophy.

A question I have is how different are those 3 little countries tucked away in northern Europe: Norway, Sweden, and Finland. Are the languages really different? Are they culturally really different or are they pretty much the same country just with borders. I know the governments are pretty dissimilar. Do you guys have bitter rivalries with each other or are you one big happy family?

That is all®
evade20
QUOTE(Gnappster @ Jun 2 2006, 11:49 AM)
A question I have is how different are those 3 little countries tucked away in northern Europe: Norway, Sweden, and Finland. Are the languages really different? Are they culturally really different or are they pretty much the same country just with borders. I know the governments are pretty dissimilar. Do you guys have bitter rivalries with each other or are you one big happy family?

That is all®

They are as different as night and day....especially Finland! The Finnish language is unique and has no known European roots. We should let Summoner expound on this one. (If she cares to).
summoner
QUOTE(Gnappster @ Jun 2 2006 @ 11:49 AM)

That is all®

QUOTE(evade20 @ Jun 2 2006, 08:01 PM)
They are as different as night and day....especially Finland!  The Finnish language is unique and has no known European roots.  We should let Summoner expound on this one. (If she cares to).

biggrin.gif Evade is right! Northern countries are = Finland, Sweden, Norway, Island and Denmark. With languages ours is very different although Finland has two prime languages, Finnish and Swedish. Finland and Sweden has been fighting ever since Finland separated from Sweden few hundred years ago wink.gif I think that SomFan knows these things better than me ohmy.gif I should have learn more about history in high school...What else...All these five countries are different, even with language. It is not certain that if you can speak Swedish you understand Norweigian or Danish..And our language is from East. Estonian and Finnish are quite the same and same thing with Hungarian. And no, we are not a colony of Russia smile.gif

Ja se siitä = That is all wink.gif
Gnappster
QUOTE(summoner @ Jun 2 2006, 12:20 PM)
biggrin.gif Evade is right! Northern countries are = Finland, Sweden, Norway, Island and Denmark. With languages ours is very different although Finland has two prime languages, Finnish and Swedish. Finland and Sweden has been fighting ever since Finland separated from Sweden few hundred years ago wink.gif I think that SomFan knows these things better than me  ohmy.gif I should have learn more about history in high school...What else...All these five countries are different, even with language. It is not certain that if you can speak Swedish you understand Norweigian or Danish..And our language is from East. Estonian and Finnish are quite the same and same thing with Hungarian. And no, we are not a colony of Russia smile.gif

Thanks! smile.gif

Ja se siitä
closeup3
I was born in America, both of my parents were born in America. And all four of my grandparents were born in America. I think that makes me an American.
Gnappster
QUOTE(closeup3 @ Jun 2 2006, 01:52 PM)
I was born in America, both of my parents were born in America. And all four of my grandparents were born in America. I think that makes me an American.

I thought it makes you an asshole nah.gif

haha, just messin closeup ol buddy, you know I love you! food-smiley-004.gif
somfan
QUOTE(summoner @ Jun 2 2006, 11:20 AM)
biggrin.gif Evade is right! Northern countries are = Finland, Sweden, Norway, Island and Denmark. With languages ours is very different although Finland has two prime languages, Finnish and Swedish. Finland and Sweden has been fighting ever since Finland separated from Sweden few hundred years ago wink.gif I think that SomFan knows these things better than me  ohmy.gif I should have learn more about history in high school...What else...All these five countries are different, even with language. It is not certain that if you can speak Swedish you understand Norweigian or Danish..And our language is from East. Estonian and Finnish are quite the same and same thing with Hungarian. And no, we are not a colony of Russia smile.gif

Finnish is a Finno-Ugric language, which means that it is not Indo-European. English is closer to Sanskrit and Farsi and Russian than Swedish is to Finnish.
Finnish and Estonian are closely related. 6000 years of independent development separate Finnish/Estonian from Hungarian.

During the Viking age, there was one more-or-less common Nordic language which was spoken in Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark and the coastal regions of Finland and Estonia. Those languages are often mutually understandable. But Icelanders still speak pretty much the same language spoken by the Vikings!

And then there is the separate indigenous language spoken by Summoner's birth mother: Saami, Sami, of Lapp. It's origins are ancient and obscure.

On the other hand, from the perspective of outside, there are a lot of cultural similarities between the Nordic countries. I would say that that is generally related to the geography, the Viking past, Lutheranism, and the strength of
organized labor and the social-democratic (labor)parties.

The closest thing to WAR in that region is when Finland and Sweden meet each other in ice hockey!!
closeup3
QUOTE(Gnappster @ Jun 2 2006, 04:00 PM)
I thought it makes you an asshole  nah.gif
haha, just messin closeup ol buddy, you know I love you!  food-smiley-004.gif

It's like if someone told you he was born in Poland, his parents were born in Poland, his grandparents were born in Poland, but he's Mexican. How many generations do you have to be in a country before that's "Where you're from"?
Gnappster
QUOTE(somfan @ Jun 2 2006, 02:14 PM)
Finnish is a Finno-Ugric language, which means that it is not Indo-European.  English is closer to Sanskrit and Farsi and Russian than Swedish is to Finnish.
Finnish and Estonian are closely related.  6000 years of independent development separate Finnish/Estonian from Hungarian. 

During the Viking age, there was one more-or-less common Nordic language which was spoken in Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark and the coastal regions of Finland and Estonia.  Those languages are often mutually understandable.  But Icelanders still speak pretty much the same language spoken by the Vikings!

And then there is the separate indigenous language spoken by Summoner's birth mother:  Saami, Sami, of Lapp.  It's origins are ancient and obscure.

On the other hand, from the perspective of outside, there are a lot of cultural similarities between the Nordic countries.  I would say that that is generally related to the geography, the Viking past, Lutheranism, and the strength of
organized labor and the social-democratic (labor)parties.

The closest thing to WAR in that region is when Finland and Sweden meet each other in ice hockey!!

That's exactly what i was looking for! thanks.
boanna
irish, welsh, tons of little things, and 1/4 native american
UncleBuck
QUOTE(boanna @ Jun 2 2006, 06:58 PM)
irish, welsh, tons of little things, and 1/4 native american

If you are 1/4 indian I can see why Custer lost......
I would like to put a "little scottish" in ya bang2.gif tongue.gif
evade20
QUOTE(UncleBuck @ Jun 2 2006, 08:14 PM)
If you are 1/4 indian I can see why Custer lost......
I would like to put a "little scotish" in ya bang2.gif  tongue.gif

Yeah, Custer couldn't see over those hills! 22.gif
summoner
QUOTE(Gnappster @ Jun 2 2006, 10:40 PM)
That's exactly what i was looking for! thanks.

I told you that Somfan would know it better than me wink.gif
Vlad
Mother was full Romanian and Father was full British.

So I'm the half breed of 2 enemies.
somfan
QUOTE(summoner @ Jun 2 2006, 09:13 PM)
I told you that Somfan would know it better than me wink.gif

Thanks for YOUR acknowledgement! smile.gif I feel like I should be contributing something to this wonderful website;I mean I don't really have much in the way of boobs. Otherwise, all I can do is voice my appreciation...
Isaac_Putin
QUOTE(closeup3 @ Jun 2 2006, 03:52 PM)

Before the advent of DNA, I think the above would be a valid answer. But now, we can (if we can afford it), trace our exact ethnic lineage. There was a story today about a Florida accountant who was confirmed via DNA to be related to Genghis Khan. I think I would want him representing me if I ever had to be audited by the IRS.

So, Closeup3, the most your parents and grandparents remembered about their distant origins was the American part of it? laughing-smiley-014.gif
Bobaloo
QUOTE(Isaac_Putin @ Jun 7 2006, 06:32 PM)
Before the advent of DNA, I think the above would be a valid answer.  But now, we can (if we can afford it), trace our exact ethnic lineage.  There was a story today about a Florida accountant who was confirmed via DNA to be related to Genghis Khan.  I think I would want him representing me if I ever had to be audited by the IRS.

So, Closeup3, the most your parents and grandparents remembered about their distant origins was the American part of it?   laughing-smiley-014.gif

The problem with tracing closeup's lineage is you've got to trace back all his sequential families. it gets really confusing when trying to distinguish among his first cousin2, third cousin4, and third cousin twice removed2. And I don't even think it's appropriate to get into what happened between Great Grandma2 and Great Grandpa3. that sure was a fiasco. inlaws2 still hasn't forgiven them till this day!
Gnappster
QUOTE(Isaac_Putin @ Jun 7 2006, 04:32 PM)
Before the advent of DNA, I think the above would be a valid answer.  But now, we can (if we can afford it), trace our exact ethnic lineage.  There was a story today about a Florida accountant who was confirmed via DNA to be related to Genghis Khan.  I think I would want him representing me if I ever had to be audited by the IRS.

So, Closeup3, the most your parents and grandparents remembered about their distant origins was the American part of it?   laughing-smiley-014.gif

you can tace your lineage but if you go far enough back, you can be shown to be related to most everybody. Better explained here

And plus Genghis Khan was a genetic jackhammer, didn't he father half of Europe laughing-smiley-017.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.