Rate boobs, big boob pics, natural tits, fake tits, hot tits on hot chicks, it's all about breast and we have the melons to prove it!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 > 
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> English, But Not As You Know It............, Hows your cockney rhyming slang?????

penelope
post Mar 20 2006, 03:33 PM
Post #1

C Cup

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,950

Some of you may have noticed that now and then we have some major language barriers, despite all speaking english! So, heres a thread to test your knowledge of that great London phenomenon, Cockney Rhyming Slang!!!!
I'll put up a phrase, and we'll see who can work out what it means first, i.e. 'apples and pears' is 'stairs'. I might even come up with prizes?!?

Ok, now you know what your doing, who knows what this is.........

'Fife and Drum'
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
COMEDYMAN
post Mar 20 2006, 03:40 PM
Post #2

Double D's
Group Icon

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 2,479

I know biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Gnappster
post Mar 20 2006, 03:50 PM
Post #3

Liquor and Whores

Member No.: 2,922

QUOTE(penelope @ Mar 20 2006, 01:33 PM)
Some of you may have noticed that now and then we have some major language barriers, despite all speaking english! So, heres a thread to test your knowledge of that great London phenomenon, Cockney Rhyming Slang!!!!
I'll put up a phrase, and we'll see who can work out what it means first, i.e. 'apples and pears' is 'stairs'. I might even come up with prizes?!?

'Fife and Drum'

Is the answer boobs? unsure.gif

--------------------
user posted image

Thinking about starting a new thread???
Watch THIS first!
+Quote Post
Bobaloo
post Mar 20 2006, 03:51 PM
Post #4

--o00o--O(_)O--o00o--

Member No.: 11,695

QUOTE(penelope @ Mar 20 2006, 03:33 PM)

'Fife and Drum'

When you say prizes, does that mean I get to see a picture of your fife and drum??

--------------------
user posted image user posted image
Don't get all sensitive. That's what my wife does when she wants me to go out with my friends and drink beer.
Glad you're back; love your front
I'm Whoring for votes. Click here to vote Bobaloo!!! <----- That trick didn't work :(
+Quote Post
Bobaloo
post Mar 20 2006, 03:52 PM
Post #5

--o00o--O(_)O--o00o--

QUOTE(Gnappster @ Mar 20 2006, 03:50 PM)
Is the answer boobs?  unsure.gif

No, it has to rhyme with drum. Only think I can think of that would be appropriate around here would be bum. So that's what I'm going with.

--------------------
Don't get all sensitive. That's what my wife does when she wants me to go out with my friends and drink beer.
I'm Whoring for votes. Click here to vote Bobaloo!!! <----- That trick didn't work :(
+Quote Post
Gnappster
post Mar 20 2006, 03:55 PM
Post #6

Liquor and Whores

QUOTE(Bobaloo @ Mar 20 2006, 01:52 PM)
No, it has to rhyme with drum.  Only think I can think of that would be appropriate around here would be bum.  So that's what I'm going with.

Ohhhhhhhhh, I get it now!

Is the answer tits?

--------------------
user posted image

Watch THIS first!
+Quote Post
penelope
post Mar 20 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #7

C Cup

OK, I'm gonna add a rule, your not allowed to use the web to find the answer!!!!

Was trying to start off easily, but obviously it was too easy, try this one......

'Lilley and Skinner'

and no computers!!!!!! popc1.gif
+Quote Post
penelope
post Mar 20 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #8

C Cup

QUOTE(Bobaloo @ Mar 20 2006, 03:52 PM)
No, it has to rhyme with drum.  Only think I can think of that would be appropriate around here would be bum.  So that's what I'm going with.

ok, i'll put that down as you winning, but was too easy to earn a prize for!! try the next one. love-smiley-077.gif
+Quote Post
penelope
post Mar 20 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #9

C Cup

QUOTE(Gnappster @ Mar 20 2006, 03:55 PM)
Is the answer tits?

......one track mind......!!!!!
+Quote Post
Gnappster
post Mar 20 2006, 04:05 PM
Post #10

Liquor and Whores

QUOTE(penelope @ Mar 20 2006, 01:58 PM)
......one track mind......!!!!!

lol, naturally.
Where does this originate from? As in, why do 2 words together come to signify something that rhymes with it.
I'm not questioning it as "what's the point". more just out of curiousity.

--------------------
user posted image

Watch THIS first!
+Quote Post
Bobaloo
post Mar 20 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #11

--o00o--O(_)O--o00o--

QUOTE(Gnappster @ Mar 20 2006, 03:55 PM)
Is the answer tits?

laughing-smiley-017.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Bobaloo
post Mar 20 2006, 04:18 PM
Post #12

--o00o--O(_)O--o00o--

QUOTE(penelope @ Mar 20 2006, 03:57 PM)
OK, I'm gonna add a rule, your not allowed to use the web to find the answer!!!!

Was trying to start off easily, but obviously it was too easy, try this one......

'Lilley and Skinner'

and no computers!!!!!! popc1.gif

Can't you use it in a sentence or something? It's really tough without it. But it's your game and your rules, so you don't have to.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Bobaloo
post Mar 20 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #13

--o00o--O(_)O--o00o--

I can't think of anything sexual that would apply. Only things I can think of are winner and dinner.

--------------------
+Quote Post
diane26
post Mar 20 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #14

Double D's

Member No.: 12,556

thinner
+Quote Post
sweetnsexy
post Mar 20 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #15

D Cup

Member No.: 9,337

Cockney slang originates from the East end of London, and was intended to allow the locals to chat without being understood by outsiders.

Some forms of slang are very old, but current day expressions get used too. Often the original expression gets shortened or corrupted....for example, Bottle and Glass = arse (ass or butt to some of you)....Aristotle = Bottle...becomes Aris.

Putting some older expressions (in full) into a context, have a go a decoding this...

I left the rub a dub late, and drove the jamjar down the frog and toad to the cat and mouse. The old pot and pan was waiting up, sat at the cain and abel, and he gave me such a butchers hook.

‘What time do you call this?’ he said. ‘You went out with your skin and blister for a ruby murray hours ago. Too much rabbit and pork, that’s your trouble – and a few vera lynn’s from the state of you – you’re brahms and liszt! I suppose you’ve been flashing your Bristol Citys at the Merchant bankers down the battlecruiser!! ‘

‘Don’t you adam and eve it’ I replied, ‘I tried calling you on the dog and bone, but you are either mutt and jeff or you were having a j arthur rank! We had a couple of tiddlywinks with some china plates, and came straight back! Next you’ll be wanting me up them apple and pears for a Friar Tuck! Well, you can take your mince pies off my raspberry ripples, get on your plates of meat and head for the spare room!’

He can be a right Hampton Wick at times!!

--------------------
It's good to talk...unless your mouth is full!
sweetpussytalk@aol.com sweetn.sexy@hotmail.co.uk
+Quote Post
belicked6924
post Mar 21 2006, 12:00 AM
Post #16

Double D's

Member No.: 12,055

coz.gif but at the same time laughing-smiley-017.gif

--------------------
Work in progress.
+Quote Post
evade20
post Mar 21 2006, 04:30 AM
Post #17

Melon Master

Member No.: 11,658

QUOTE(sweetnsexy @ Mar 20 2006, 11:52 PM)
Cockney slang originates from the East end of London, and was intended to allow the locals to chat without being understood by outsiders.

Some forms of slang are very old, but current day expressions get used too.  Often the original expression gets shortened or corrupted....for example, Bottle and Glass = arse (ass or butt to some of you)....Aristotle  = Bottle...becomes Aris.

Putting some older expressions (in full) into a context, have a go a decoding this...

I left the rub a dub late, and drove the jamjar down the frog and toad to the cat and mouse.  The old pot and pan was waiting up, sat at the cain and abel, and he gave me such a butchers hook. 

‘What time do you call this?’ he said.  ‘You went out with your skin and blister for a ruby murray hours ago.  Too much rabbit and pork, that’s your trouble – and a few vera lynn’s from the state of you – you’re brahms and liszt!  I suppose you’ve been flashing your Bristol Citys at the Merchant bankers down the battlecruiser!! ‘

‘Don’t you adam and eve it’ I replied, ‘I tried calling you on the dog and bone, but you are either mutt and jeff or you were having a j arthur rank!  We had a couple of tiddlywinks with some china plates, and came straight back!  Next you’ll be wanting me up them apple and pears for a Friar Tuck!  Well, you can take your mince pies off my raspberry ripples, get on your plates of meat and head for the spare room!’

Sweet... and Penelope are ganging up on us! laughing-smiley-017.gif laughing-smiley-017.gif laughing-smiley-017.gif love-smiley-077.gif

--------------------
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
Ansel Adams

user posted image
user posted image

The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation.

Pierre Elliott Trudeau
+Quote Post
Gnappster
post Mar 21 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #18

Liquor and Whores

QUOTE(sweetnsexy @ Mar 20 2006, 09:52 PM)

Some forms of slang are very old, but current day expressions get used too.  Often the original expression gets shortened or corrupted....for example, Bottle and Glass = arse (ass or butt to some of you)....Aristotle  = Bottle...becomes Aris.

I left the rub a dub late, and drove the jamjar down the frog and toad to the cat and mouse.  The old pot and pan was waiting up, sat at the cain and abel, and he gave me such a butchers hook. 

‘What time do you call this?’ he said.  ‘You went out with your skin and blister for a ruby murray hours ago.  Too much rabbit and pork, that’s your trouble – and a few vera lynn’s from the state of you – you’re brahms and liszt!  I suppose you’ve been flashing your Bristol Citys at the Merchant bankers down the battlecruiser!! ‘

‘Don’t you adam and eve it’ I replied, ‘I tried calling you on the dog and bone, but you are either mutt and jeff or you were having a j arthur rank!  We had a couple of tiddlywinks with some china plates, and came straight back!  Next you’ll be wanting me up them apple and pears for a Friar Tuck!  Well, you can take your mince pies off my raspberry ripples, get on your plates of meat and head for the spare room!’

Well mission accomplished cuz I didn't understand any of that!

--------------------
user posted image

Watch THIS first!
+Quote Post
Bobaloo
post Mar 21 2006, 12:18 PM
Post #19

--o00o--O(_)O--o00o--

QUOTE(Gnappster @ Mar 21 2006, 11:25 AM)
Well mission accomplished cuz I didn't understand any of that!

Agreed! that's a language where I just don't know what the Finn and Huck is going on!!!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Gnappster
post Mar 21 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #20

Liquor and Whores

QUOTE(Bobaloo @ Mar 21 2006, 10:18 AM)
Agreed!  that's a language where I just don't know what the Finn and Huck is going on!!!

uhhh, is the answer boobs nah.gif

But honestly, this stuff is mission and wimpossible to figure out. (see if anyone gets that one!)

--------------------
user posted image

Watch THIS first!
+Quote Post
Christof
post Mar 21 2006, 03:14 PM
Post #21

C Cup

Member No.: 11,025

QUOTE(Bobaloo @ Mar 21 2006, 05:18 PM)
Agreed!  that's a language where I just don't know what the Finn and Huck is going on!!!

I only live about 100 miles away from London and even I only got about 75% of that

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
penelope
post Mar 21 2006, 04:11 PM
Post #22

C Cup

Sorry guys, got called away and had to leave you to it!!! Thanks Sweet, that was awesome, couldn't have done it better myself!!! I like it when we completely confuse the men, you can almost see them squirm.

Well, just got to go and put my currant bun to uncle Ted , then will lock the Rory o'Mores
settle down with a tiddly wink of mothers ruin and might just get a little elephants trunk, its been a shepherds plaids day! I need a feather and flip because I'm cream crackered!
+Quote Post
bondiguy
post Mar 22 2006, 12:08 AM
Post #23

I don't suffer FOOLS

Member No.: 7,542

QUOTE(sweetnsexy @ Mar 20 2006, 11:52 PM)

Being an Aussie i understand most of what Sweets said and I will translate

I left the PUB late, and drove the CAR down the ROAD to the HOUSE. The old MAN was waiting up, sat at the TABLE, and he gave me such a LOOK.

‘What time do you call this?’ he said. ‘You went out with your SISTER for a ruby murray(not sure on that one) hours ago. Too much TALK, that’s your trouble – and a few GINS from the state of you – you’re PISSED(drunk for the yanks)! I suppose you’ve been flashing your TITTIES at the WANKERS down the BOOZER(pub)!! ‘

‘Don’t you adam and eve(not sure) it’ I replied, ‘I tried calling you on the PHONE, but you are either MUTE or DEAF or you were having a WANK! We had a couple of DRINKS with some MATES, and came straight back! Next you’ll be wanting me up them STAIRS for a FUCK! Well, you can take your EYES off my NIPPLES, get on your FEET and head for the spare room!’

He can be a right DICK at times!!

How'd I go sweets?

--------------------
Bondi Approved ™

I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck.
I am smart, capable and, most importantly, I'm free in all the ways that you are not.

user posted image
+Quote Post
Christof
post Mar 22 2006, 04:09 AM
Post #24

C Cup

Member No.: 11,025

QUOTE(bondiguy @ Mar 22 2006, 05:08 AM)
Being an Aussie i understand most of what Sweets said and I will translate

I left the PUB late, and drove the CAR down the ROAD to the HOUSE.  The old MAN was waiting up, sat at the TABLE, and he gave me such a LOOK. 

‘What time do you call this?’ he said.  ‘You went out with your SISTER for a ruby murray(not sure on that one) hours ago.  Too much TALK, that’s your trouble – and a few GINS from the state of you – you’re PISSED(drunk for the yanks)!  I suppose you’ve been flashing your TITTIES at the WANKERS down the BOOZER(pub)!! ‘

‘Don’t you adam and eve(not sure) it’ I replied, ‘I tried calling you on the PHONE, but you are either MUTE or DEAF or you were having a WANK!  We had a couple of DRINKS with some MATES, and came straight back!  Next you’ll be wanting me up them STAIRS for a FUCK!  Well, you can take your EYES off my NIPPLES, get on your FEET and head for the spare room!’

He can be a right DICK at times!!

How'd I go sweets?

Not bad at all! ruby murray = curry and adam and eve = believe

--------------------
user posted image
+Quote Post
sweetnsexy
post Mar 22 2006, 10:06 PM
Post #25

D Cup

Member No.: 9,337

Bondi, I am impressed!! food-smiley-004.gif

Apart from a couple, you got most spot on.

Of course, I did make it easier by quoting the full slang...often the expressions used get shortened.....so Bristol Citys = Bristols; Dog and bone = dog; China plate = china.

There are several slang expressions commonly used here which are derived from cockney slang, and often the original meaning has been forgotten...for example, a stupid man might get called a berk, which seems fairly innocuous - until you remember that this is a foreshortening of Berkshire Hunt....!! ohmy.gif

--------------------
It's good to talk...unless your mouth is full!
sweetpussytalk@aol.com sweetn.sexy@hotmail.co.uk
+Quote Post
bondiguy
post Mar 23 2006, 03:29 AM
Post #26

I don't suffer FOOLS

Member No.: 7,542

QUOTE(sweetnsexy @ Mar 22 2006, 10:06 PM)
Bondi, I am impressed!!  food-smiley-004.gif

Apart from a couple, you got most spot on.

Of course, I did make it easier by quoting the full slang...often the expressions used get shortened.....so Bristol Citys = Bristols; Dog and bone = dog; China plate = china.

There are several slang expressions commonly used here which are derived from cockney slang, and often the original meaning has been forgotten...for example, a stupid man might get called a berk, which seems fairly innocuous - until you remember that this is a foreshortening of Berkshire Hunt....!! ohmy.gif

Thank you thank you! My old man's mother was a pommy so he has picked up alot of the slang and passed it down the line. Some I wasnt sure on but they are pretty easy tp pick up in the context of the writing. Of course in Australia they have become adapted and I just make my own up

Pigs Ear = Beer
Brad Pitts = Shit

etc

--------------------
Bondi Approved ™

I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck.
I am smart, capable and, most importantly, I'm free in all the ways that you are not.

user posted image
+Quote Post
evade20
post Mar 23 2006, 03:45 AM
Post #27

Melon Master

Member No.: 11,658

QUOTE(bondiguy @ Mar 23 2006, 03:29 AM)
Brad Pitts = Shit

A comment on his acting laughing-smiley-017.gif or just the rhymy lingo thing?

Actually your exposure through out life to this type of language play probably has influenced your poetry/ singing hobby.

you ought to post a sound bite of your band.... 2thumbs.gif

--------------------
"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
Ansel Adams

user posted image
user posted image

The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation.

Pierre Elliott Trudeau
+Quote Post
NUTTER
post Mar 23 2006, 09:15 AM
Post #28

A Cup

Member No.: 14,120

FUCK me and the southen shandy drinkers take the piss out of us northeners 4 the we talk laughing-smiley-017.gif
+Quote Post
Bobaloo
post Mar 23 2006, 10:24 AM
Post #29

--o00o--O(_)O--o00o--

QUOTE(NUTTER @ Mar 23 2006, 09:15 AM)
FUCK me and the southen shandy drinkers take the piss out of us northeners  4 the we talk  laughing-smiley-017.gif

I can't believe you would take the time to post something and go through absolutely zero effort to make it a coherrent thought. coz.gif Territorial slang is one thing, but I think your post is based on the inner workings of garbled thoughts. Maybe I'm wrong and that's the way you really talk. But I am very confused, just so you know.

--------------------
+Quote Post
NUTTER
post Mar 23 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #30

A Cup

Member No.: 14,120

QUOTE(Bobaloo @ Mar 23 2006, 10:24 AM)
I can't believe you would take the time to post something and go through absolutely zero effort to make it a coherrent thought. coz.gif Territorial slang is one thing, but I think your post is based on the inner workings of garbled thoughts.  Maybe I'm wrong and that's the way you really talk.  But I am very confused, just so you know.

I was taking the piss no thought went in to it at all cos i dont care being confused is part of being american laughing-smiley-017.gif
+Quote Post

3 Pages  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2024 - 06:51 PM